TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 333843485358636873787980818283848586 LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2129

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Bump. As long as Xiaopang hasn't found the problem with the hacked executables: Does anyone of you run T3Ed with ThiefLauncher (which changes the registry thing that ML does by hacking the very executable) under Windows 7? Because I fear that ThiefLauncher doesn't run due to the different registry structure in Windows 7 and ML has the problem that some of the editor contents (new scripts & static meshes) aren't accepted by the executables.

Beleg! Remember me? I'm the one that asked a lot of dumb questions a few years ago back in the summer of 2009! I got fed up with the restrictions in the Thief III editor and gave up on that game but I'm starting to get a grip on mission making in The Dark Mod. I would appreciate if you tried some of our/mine missions over at http://forums.thedarkmod.com/

Happy days

Do advertising posts not get deleted?

Sorry, no time for the DarkMod, hardly for T3Ed.

recording audio

What is the best way to record the sound from a game? In particular, Thief.
    Thank you

IronEagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooodyii2 View Post
    What is the best way to record the sound from a game? In particular, Thief.
    Thank you
    you can extract the sound directly from the game , for a clean sound
    in thief 1,2
    you can find them in sound.snd (open win winrar)

Yeah, I was gonna say....

Why not take the audio you want right out
    of the sound file after extracting the zipped
    mission

I'm working on the Wieldstrom Museum "Gold" map (i.e. glued together, although I could only merge one intersection, the other two portals are too far apart right now) and everytime I built the Flesh stuff, during "Clipping Portals" (?) I get a VIKTORIA error saying:
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Error Message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    NumVertices<=MAX_VERTICES

Call Stack
    ...and T3Ed crashes.

The user.ini file is the same I use for my regular FM editing, with all vertex pools increased. But since when are increased pools a problem, given that the reported problem is indeed that the actual vertices are less than the value of max vertices? The other way around doesn't seem probable either sinc ethe museum is, albeit big, not larger or more crammed than my own FM... I think.

I´ve got a little question:

What makes my shadows look like this?
    Its ugly!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...eschatten.jpg/

These are the usual T3 shadows, probably looking weird because of the alternating doors. You can try this altered shadow image to make them more soft (I've used it myself although I think the difference is not groundbreaking). The files goes into Thief3Edit\System\Data\... Back-up the old Atten.dds first.

Now a real newbie question just in case anyone is still around here: I've noticed that I never figured out why a high/noteable ambient brightness value results in reddish screen tint, at least after my first mission. Both ambient brightness color and fog color (which is off, by the way) are nowhere near red and I cannot think of anything else as the cause. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Now a real newbie question just in case anyone is still around here: I've noticed that I never figured out why a high/noteable ambient brightness value results in reddish screen tint, at least after my first mission. Both ambient brightness color and fog color (which is off, by the way) are nowhere near red and I cannot think of anything else as the cause. Any ideas?
    Probably your AmbientHue value is set to 0 (which stands for red) and the AmbientSaturation is more than zero, and that causes the red ambient light to appear.

Thanks, that was it. Must have been my first question in years that got answered.

And one of few questions I knew the answer for right away

Hi everybody, I'm new to Thief editing.

And I want to know just one simple thing. What exactly is possible to make with T3ED?

For example I've always hated those loading portals inside of a solid mansion. Can I destroy them somehow with T3ED, recompile levels and walkaround whole mansion without any loading portals?

Or more complex thing to do. There's a city in Deadly Shadows divided onto different regions and each one of them needs loading. Can I link all the city parts into one solid big city? I mean technically is it possible to do with T3ED?

As long as T3 engine is based on Unreal Engine I think the idea itself is feasible technically, I'm sure it's possible to do. But maybe exactly T3ED is very cutted, I mean maybe too many things're from original Unreal Engine are locked or cutted off so I couldn't do what I want to with t3ED?

Thanks in advance for answers, Master Thiefs.

The project linking maps and city sections is already under way, I think Beleg an Flux were trying to do that, not sure what's the current status. T3ed uses UEd interface, but the renderer has been rewritten, so Unreal mapping style isn't the best approach, more like Doom 3 style: sections divided by corridors, a bit less open spaces, careful light placement etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    The project linking maps and city sections is already under way, I think Beleg an Flux were trying to do that, not sure what's the current status.
    I got most of the maps done, except Rutherford Castle, Wieldstrom Museum and a "working" Cradle, which is only playable without saving due to an exceeded property storage count. These maps are even play-ready and up for beta test but no one exactly went mental in order to get them. Still, you'd need a lot of time to fix those levels on your own, I think you might even be able to create a small FM beforehand.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Well I got them, and played the hammerintro mission with delight - I used to walk back and forth a few times where the loading zones used to be, just to savour the feeling!

Unfortunately the irony of my little project is that I never have time to play anymore...

Beleg, have you asked for testers in the FM forum? The one I played was rock solid, if they're all like that (except the cradle), then testing will be a formality

I'd like to have Rutherford Castle fixed before I make a public call (but alas the editor keeps crashing during the copy process) and Seaside Mansion IIRC has a bug with actions taking place in the widow's chamber. But before turning to all that I'd like to get out this freakign FM of mine which prevents me from playing.

At least things are moving on now. Child of Karras did some early beta testing and reported to major bugs and an English voice acting thingy is underway.

if i remember correct there was a tool that can export Thief1/2 BSP to Thief 3...
    can somebody give me a link if such tool exists ?

I could only use the search function myself, so just give it a try. There was also a download list with a couple of imported T3Ed files, however, they aren't much use for T3Edders anyway. Such a map is full of badly-aligned brushes which you don't need thanks to static meshes and it crowds up your property storage count even when you delete them. In case you want to rebuild a T1/2 map, you better use the 2D floor plans from DromEd to do things yourself.

I might still have the Keeper Training at home, but that takes me a few days.

i'm asking because i just want to know if its possible to export T1/2 BSP as a model

thanks for your reply anyway

This may already be answered within the thread, though I haven't found it yet. (And in that case, sorry for asking this question again)

I don't seem to have any sound within T3ED, neither from the Schema browser, or the Realtime Preview. Is there a known problem/fix for this?

The schema browser doesn't work for everything, just try out a couple of different sorts of sounds (footsteps, voices, music etc.). I used to have SoundDrone running alongside to create ambient music markers.

The last sound issue (with the Send-to-xBox command) I had was fixed by some of snobel's specially-prepared T3Ed files, which by the way allow running T3Ed (and TDS) without the need to change the registry thing like Thief Launcher does. Try writing him a PM if he hasn't already contacted you.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I'll try to get those editor patches officially released, finally, so I can concentrate on the game. Hopefully this weekend, but it may take another week.

There's a small addition: T3Ed will now start up if you click on the exe, instead of throwing a messagebox at you. The main benefit is that you can have a nice blue glyph icon on the desktop.

It's funny though when people report that the patched exes fix sound problems, I've no idea why they would... (But if it works, it works. )

Me too, I can only say that these problems occured in between and were gone when I did things right with the latest patches.

Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 333843485358636873787980818283848586 LastLast