TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch a newbie, remember your "first time"

Taking a break
    haha, that's for sure. I'm proud of ya son

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Riff View Post
    But in TG you need to taff with *.bnd fies directly to do that.
    oh damn I didn't remember that.... well those aren't exactly hard to edit if I remember that correctly at least

Quote Originally Posted by Cobak View Post
    well those aren't exactly hard to edit if I remember that correctly at least
    The easiest way AFAIR is to change them in T2 then copy them to T1.

Hey Khad, nice job with the fire poker. Surprised me there, did ya.

Now, well, if those SA goons give you hints like "moss arrows on guards", then keep in mind that they don't really have a clue about the game series. They were talking about Thief 3 there and apparently thought that this effect would happen in all of the games. Keep the moss arrow on guard thing in mind for Thief 3, it's really fun there.

Next: the alarm was the reason why you had to run all the way back home. If you hadn't pressed that button and if no guard would've had pressed it for you after seeing you, then the mission would've indeed ended when you left the house by that waterway. Yet another thing that the goons got wrong. ("huh, the alarm did nothing, it just raised the alertness of some guards (lulz)")

And finally: keep some distance when trying to jump over these stupid things like a counter or the bridge's railing or onto tables. Else you can't jump over this shit indeed.

Good job, btw. Have fun in the next mission and kill them all for me. (and listening to one or two conversations in the deep basement in there might help you figure out where to go first in that piece of trash of a mission.)

I must say I'm kinda impressed by how he improved in this mission. Especially how he escaped the guards at Farkus' shop. Nicely done, Khad! I'm afraid you probably consider the next mission horrible - I wouldn't be surprised if it took you longer than the Bonehoard. Good luck.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    Hey Khad, nice job with the fire poker. Surprised me there, did ya.
    Indeed, I didn't even know it was possible to get in from that side.

Moss Arrows only work on guards if you have the bow upgrade(which you missed in Bonehoard) so don't worry about it.

And as Lytha said, keep your distance when trying to jump over things - you can't change your velocity or direction in mid-air in Thief, so you need to be moving forward when jumping to actually jump forward(Sounds obvious, doesn't it).

About control woes: lockpicks are F4 and F5. There is also a button to clear inventory, backspace by default. In case you haven't noticed, you're using the jump/block bind combo which means the jump button is block when you have the sword out and jump when you don't(as it's quite unlikely you'll be jumping with a sword). You can change it to two separate bindings but you probably shouldn't, just remember to put your sword away once you finish slashing.

And sadly, there are no submarines in Thief

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    And sadly, there are no submarines in Thief
    Eh? Thief 2?

Quote Originally Posted by some SAtard
    You kind of kicked that levels rear end. The guy's at TTLG are probably fuming right now. I almost died laughing when you walked through the fire. Didn't you have water arrows?
    It's funny how they don't just get it.

I loved seeing you run away from Ramirez and his goon and hiding in the burrick pit, only to find OH GOD BURRICKS!.

Also your escape through the city, dodging around all the guards, was really quite good.

Unfortunately next up is in my opinion, the worst mission in the whole series. Have fun.

He didn't even come close to kicking the crap out of that stage. He utterly failed at the "follow the thugs" portion. As for the mansion portion, he *barely* dragged himself out of the stage with 1 health left yet again. The guy doesn't understand stealth. He doesn't use it. He ends up in swords fights with most of his encounters, and runs away from the rest. So rare is the case in which he hides silently while the guard simply walks by. He's not even doing a good job of blackjacking his way through the stages, which is pretty exceptionally easy.

for the benefit of the goons who browse this topic, here is jarvis79 (is that you?) 'kicking the crap' out of this level:

part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
    part 5

total time: 00:20:32
    all loot
    no damage

yes, this isn't the only way to play this level/game, but it's a more challenging way, therefore more impressive.
    Last edited by mr nobuddy; 27th Jun 2010 at 14:08.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by mr nobuddy View Post
    yes, this isn't the only way to play this level/game, but it's a more challenging way, therefore more impressive.
    Indeed. Once you get used to taffing, stealth becomes the only way to play - it's just too damn easy otherwise.

Speaking of which I just stealthed Undercover and yes I am quite smug about the issue

Challenging, yes. Impressive, yes. Entertaining, not particularly unless you really care about someone acing the levels in thief, which I'm guessing isn't the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodaxis View Post
    Challenging, yes. Impressive, yes. Entertaining, not particularly unless you really care about someone acing the levels in thief, which I'm guessing isn't the majority.
    So, you are the majority now? The majority of what, if I may ask?

Classical Master 2008
    Good point there. It's neat, but seeing Khad flail about yet get to the objectives in the end is just a better spectacle.

This is fantastic so far. I think a lot of you guys are too stuck on the premise of playing these games right. This is a guy who has never touched these games before and has been playing years of FPS's, 3rd person shooters and his complaints are legitimate.. But he still seems to be enjoying himself and it's a blast to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    So, you are the majority now? The majority of what, if I may ask?
    I'd say I'm in the majority of the people that watch his videos for him basically mucking about with no clue what to do whatsoever, as opposed to the technical finesse he finishes each level with.

Let's put it this way, Khad and Jarvis79 are polar opposites in terms of playing styles, one is as close to an fps as you can get without hacking a BFG into the game, the other as close to pure ghosting without exploits like leaning through walls and pushing guards into walls.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle, which makes watching both sides of the spectrum so entertaining. One is nice to look at in the same way watching a master display his art, the other is like watching a novice go up against the master and getting beaten down time and time again yet standing up to have another go.

As to your point, I have to say I play games to be challenged, not to get to level 99 and kill the spiderdemon after half an hour. Right now I know most of the AI quirks in T1/2 and thus ghosting becomes more challenging, more fun than blackjacking everyone I see. To me, it is incredibly satisfying getting through the entire "The Sword" mission without being seen once...

edit: i misunderstood you. I believed you were saying how only a minority could enjoy ghosting.

We are in agreement that I don't see Khad attempting to ghost a level as necessary to enjoy his videos, but it does get on my nerves how he sometimes goes brute-force through a situation while there is a far easier, stealthier way to do so. I can understand if he forgets/doesn't know part of the gameplay, but it's irritating when he seems to just dismiss the stealthier option as a waste of (his or his audience's) time...

Put another way, I'd love it if Khad experimented with stealth a little more and be a little less reliant on the blackjack.
    Last edited by mr nobuddy; 27th Jun 2010 at 16:22.

I think the time has come he must learn to use lean forward. Thieves' Guild is the point it's necessity will reach it's full potential concerning OMs.

Ah well, should be fun to see him struggle. I've never quite understood everyone's hatred toward's Thieves' Guild. Sure it's long and mazeful, but I somehow managed to enjoy it. Not all of it, ofcourse, but finding myself through that maze was a blast.
    Then again, I'm kinda used to frustration, so what do I know.

P.S. mr nobuddy, it's tarvis79.

We are in agreement that I don't see Khad attempting to ghost a level as necessary to enjoy his videos, but it does get on my nerves how he sometimes goes brute-force through a situation while there is a far easier, stealthier way to do so. I can understand if he forgets/doesn't know part of the gameplay, but it's irritating when he seems to just dismiss the stealthier option as a waste of (his or his audience's) time...

Put another way, I'd love it if Khad experimented with stealth a little more and be a little less reliant on the blackjack.
    He might end up trying to do things properly, eventually, although I doubt it, knowing his track record.

Hey Khad, your latest video was pretty good. You're getting the hang of it. You aced the firepoker secret and had no trouble finding your way across the map. Nice evasion in the shop at the end of the video too, you played that like a pro!

Tips:
    1. There are hotkeys for most important equipment like lockpicks or flashbombs. Also, you can immediately put away any equipment with backspace. You don't have to cycle through the inventory all that much.
    2. Guards have to face a flashbomb, otherwise it won't affect their sight. You know, realism.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    This is a guy who has never touched these games before and has been playing years of FPS's, 3rd person shooters...
    When did I ever claim this!??!?!?

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    1. Guards have to face a flashbomb, otherwise it won't affect their sight. You know, realism.
    Nope, that's only in Thief 2.

Flash bombs work the same in both games; Thief 2 just has much brighter flashes. AIs always need to be facing the flash for the effect to take place (which is why dropping them works better than throwing).

Quote Originally Posted by Khad View Post
    When did I ever claim this!??!?!?
    At least you claimed that "I have too much Splinter Cell under my belt." That alone would almost imply years, unless you started with Conviction.

I can remember now that I went through the same thing with the burrick tunneling issue. Exactly the same thing, dodging burrick burps in the pit and wondering why there aren't any tunnels there.

I'd say I'm in the majority of the people that watch his videos for him basically mucking about with no clue what to do whatsoever, as opposed to the technical finesse he finishes each level with.
    The majority of you guys at SA probably, but you're not the only ones watching his adventures.

I personally find it much more enjoyable now that he's displaying at least a certain amount of expertise. You know, like actually knowing about the quicksave key instead of pointlessly repeating Bafford's Manor all over again, and again, and again, and again. That was really, really, really, really annoying to watch, mostly because he was all like "this fucking game doesn't know about autosave, because people didn't believe in that in 1998" or whatever.

What was that all about, anyway? Khad, did you play too many games with those fuckingly annoying saving points instead of quicksaves or something?

Anyway, my 2.25 year old nephew could've done that in Bafford's Manor better, and I doubt that he's really the type for patience and stealth.

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621263136414651 ... LastLast