TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 56 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch a newbie, remember your "first time"

Watch a newbie, remember your "first time"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1

There's a poor soul that's doing a semi-blind let's play of Thief on the Something Awful forums.
    He got to cragscleft and he is already going angry, not the most professional thief in the world but I suppose that most newbies are like that. Unfortunately he has a recording problem and on the first levels he can't read papers without crashing, but he's making efforts to scan them in order to better understand the plot and clues from now on.
    I can't wait for the Bonehoard.

And no, I don't know what's up with the dog
    Last edited by TafferLing; 6th Feb 2011 at 18:10.

That's hilarious. "Why are there zombies in this game?"

Good Grief!!! I wouldn't have thought anyone could be that bad

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I never ended up getting past Lost City. I love the game's style and love the background, but some of the levels are just... eh. Still trying to muster up the motivation to slog through the Thieves Guild and get back to where I was before reformatting.

"This is hard difficulty? Jesus...Sorry guys, I just got too much Splinter Cell under my belt."

/me chuckles knowingly at what lies ahead

Quote Originally Posted by TafferLing View Post
    And no, I don't know what's up with the dog
    http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Mira

Oh no! It's thief gold! The Thieves Guild is going to break him...

So many deaths... so little sneaking. At least it was quick.

Stony

I played almost exactly the same when on my first playthrough. Then again, I was 11 and had a lot of trouble understanding the English. Watching this guy brings back so many memories.

Heh, he finds an empty fireplace and goes "Hey is this an elevator?"

Then in Cragscleft he thinks regular water arrows can also kill zombies...I can't wait to see where this goes next

anxious to see him in Lost City
    even better, Return to the Cathedral

For the next level I already bought some noisemaker arrows, a rope arrow or two, and maybe another water arrow. Everything is expensive as hell so even with 1000+ gold I could only afford about 4 arrows.
    One water arrow! He's taking the worst setup possible for the bonehoard... He'll have to herd the zombies. At least the extra rope arrows will be handy for a newbie.
    Last edited by TafferLing; 7th Jun 2010 at 06:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper_Miguel View Post
    anxious to see him in Lost City
    even better, Return to the Cathedral
    Do you think he'll make it that far? My first time, which looked quite similar to what's he performing like*, ended in The Sword in the upper floors. After a fire arrow massacre, but there was just no end in sight to the ever more guards. Oh the horrors.

--
    * With less cursing and a slightly better spacial sense.
    Last edited by Lytha; 7th Jun 2010 at 07:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Lytha View Post
    Do you think he'll make it that far? My first time, which looked quite similar to what's he performing like*, ended in The Sword in the upper floors. After a fire arrow massacre, but there was just no end in sight to the ever more guards. Oh the horrors.

--
    * With less cursing and a slightly better spacial sense.
    Yeah, The Sword was really messed up for me aswell I didn't know words like "sneak" or "take your time" and just thought I could rush through like in any other game.. now it's otherway around, when I play anything else, wich I rarely do, I seem to think I can just ghost through without any violence
    Anyway, he seems to be playing Thief Gold, so he will be having even more proplems than I had on my first go.

Yup, the Thieves Guild is before The Sword, and it will be an absolute bundle of fun for him.

I hope he gets to The Sword so he'll finally stfu about the lockpicks.

I am really enjoying watching him, though. The recap of deaths at the end of Cragscleft was a nice touch.

You first get the lock-picks in Assassins, but he's got to get through the Bonehoard first! With his jumping skills on display I think that might be problematic.

Well, he's just playing in Hard, right? So, what's that then? The Heart or the Soul? The "riddle" of how to open the Soul's chamber will make his head explode, and the jumping puzzle and hall of statues at the Heart will make his fingers bleed. But he only got to do one of these, not both.

Ooh. Thief Gold, right? There's an invincible fire haunt thing around as well, and he purchased the "better" arrows only (noisemakers ftw!), so he can't even scare that one off for a short while. Heh heh.

Frankly I've never understood what's the deal with hard difficulty. It's practically expert without some small bits of extra sauce, that often aren't even noticable. In Thief for me it's either softsy Normal or all-out Expert.

Btw, I love those videos, especialyl the last one. I cracked up in at least several places and I greatly anticipate it's next chapters, just like tarvis' videos of Lytha-Waying the very same levels. Though the contrast between the both playstyles is compared to opposite poles, hahah.

Also, too bad he doesn't seem to enjoy the game too much, altho maybe in time he will. It sure made me like the game more before and is a decent way of getting past a burnout.

And yeah, he's royally screwed in the next mission. I actually fear he's gonna give up on the game by bonehoard... or not, if he's into robbing dead people.

I hope he does the statues riddle, a puzzle of pure genius, purely because I have visions of him running through there again and again thinking he can outrun the statues' gaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    tarvis' videos of Lytha-Waying
    The true Lytha-way seems to include getting seen a lot and with at least half of my brain power going into chatting along while playing, it's far less polished than what tarvis uploaded.

In other words, you can all laugh at my clumsiness in TDS now, and I'll do TG after I am finished with that. I started with TDS because it's the easiest of the three games and I just didn't feel like taking my chances with TG so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapedPillager View Post
    You first get the lock-picks in Assassins, but he's got to get through the Bonehoard first! With his jumping skills on display I think that might be problematic.
    Ah yes!

The first zombie encounter is hilarious.

"I killed you for not staying dead!" and then the zombie rises again.

Man, he's getting massacred by the Hammers at Cragscleft

"What?! I did not kill any innocents! Who's innocent in a prison!? Are they talking about the zombies?"