TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 24 of 90 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Triffs was on already? Damn. What are the odds they'll let me watch it? (slim to none)

It couldn't really be any less 'raaar, not like the book!' than that excuse for a film they made out of it at least. I am interested to see how Eddie Izzard survives a plane crash by burying himself in life jackets (seems roughly as foolish as jumping in a falling elevator to survive).

Seeing the way the actioned up Survivors in its remake, I hope they don't get too distracted by such things. Seems like it'd be even more tempting this time, what with monsters to fight.

Still Subjective
    There are ways of getting around the BBC iPlayer's UK only business. Wait here, I go other forum lookeesee 4 U

K. I'm back.

Apparently connecting to a UK proxy server will allow it. But the other thing they mention on that other forum is just DLing with uTorrent. Will it be up is the thing, eh?
    Last edited by SubJeff; 30th Dec 2009 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    (seems roughly as foolish as jumping in a falling elevator to survive)
    I do hope scientists have tested the best ways of surviving in a falling lift and published their findings.

Still Subjective
    Yes. Hurts you more if attempt to you jump before impact, best to lie down and go floppy.

The last movie I watched was Blue Thunder(1982)
    This is one of the films of my childhood and the helicopter in it is so awesome.
    And that stupid catchphrase uttered by nasty Malcolm McDowell: "Catch ya later"*hand gesture*

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I watched I Am Legend this evening. Oh what a shit film. It was always going to be another formulaic genre flick, being as utterly predictable as it was but that third act utterly sunk it.

I hear that there's an alternative cut, but I can't arsed tracking it down. Maybe if the film had been made by someone with known talent rather than the helmer of Constantine (lol), eg Kingdom of Heaven. More often than not even failures by good filmmakers make for far more interesting viewing than the usual stuff out of Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Juhn Keep View Post
    I do hope scientists have tested the best ways of surviving in a falling lift and published their findings.
    Well, there's one that's fun to watch

Anyway, cheers SE. Yeah I'll just torrent it. I'll contribute to any moaning about people nicking their stuff though. It's frustrating. I'd probably even throw down a buck or two for the convenience of watching it once and maybe even buy the dvd at a later date. How it's taking people so long to figure out that the whole internetted world is now their audience continues to boggle my mind.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Watched The Dark Knight last night. As much as I love the comic book Joker, I can't bring myself to really like Nolan!Joker that much. Though of course that's the whole point; this Joker is frighteningly vicious, as opposed to the usual lulzy psycho we're more familiar with.

Batman RIP had Joker be a bit more like Ledger's

slight spoiler

which I think is great.

Today I watched:

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Finale "Crossroads"
    Doctor Who - The End of Time Part 2
    Michael McIntyre - Hello Wembley

Which one of those do you think I felt was a waste of my life?

Just finished watching that BBC two-parter Day of the Triffids. Good actors, some good production values, but the story riddled with plot wholes, the characters are dumb as bricks, and the corny "We need to look after Mother Earth, or she'll rise up and kill us" subtext is so hamfisted, it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Jand the corny "We need to look after Mother Earth, or she'll rise up and kill us" subtext is so hamfisted, it hurts.
    Forgive my ignorance because I've never seen/read this story before but am somewhat familiar with the premise, but wouldn't this type of subtext be utterly unavoidable? Moreover, isn't it the "point" of the story?

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I hear that there's an alternative cut, but I can't arsed tracking it down.
    The alternative ending does not entirely save the film - but definitely helps:
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...is-is-amazing/

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Forgive my ignorance because I've never seen/read this story before but am somewhat familiar with the premise, but wouldn't this type of subtext be utterly unavoidable? Moreover, isn't it the "point" of the story?
    I have no problem with the subtext. I have huge problems with conveying the subtext in a hamfisted manner that calls for much eye-rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Juhn Keep View Post
    That is some appalling artwork and pacing!

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    The alternative ending does not entirely save the film - but definitely helps:
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...is-is-amazing/
    Not really. The whole thing is crud. Erase and do it again, properly this time.

Why they can't get it right is beyond me. The Omega Man goes too far one way and I am Legend goes too far the other. A happy medium would have been great.

Just watched District 9. Hands down one of the top ten worst movies I have ever seen... and I love both Sci-Fi and Jackson's less mainstream flicks i.e. Braindead. The message of this movie was decent but could have been much deeper and more of a message, the aliens were terribly done IMO, and the whole thing was shallow and like a romp through a gorefest - not necessarily a bad thing, but bad in this case. The actors were not believable nor even was the script remotely realistic in terms of how people really react and act in real life.

Two thumbs down. Terrible, terrible movie.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Am watching and recording 24 hours of "Have gun will travel".

An old Richard Boone series.

Watched the original The Wicker Man yesterday evening. The first half's almost painfully corny, feeling like a bad early '70s musical. Then it gets ominous and scary, and at its best it's as effective as Don't Look Now. Weird film.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by the_grip View Post
    Two thumbs down. Terrible, terrible movie.
    Remind me never to take a recommendation from you on films ever.

And tell us at least 3 you did enjoy for comparison please.

Knows his stuff
    I don't know, I have a hard time disagreeing with the points the_grip makes even though I did enjoy District 9.

Quote Originally Posted by the_grip View Post
    The actors were not believable nor even was the script remotely realistic in terms of how people really react and act in real life.
    Yeah, the part where his wife instantly turns her back on him when the rumors start going around and then later on does a 180 and start believing in him again grated a bit. It felt like it was more there because the story needed him to be an outcast with no allies at that point, rather than because she'd really act like that.

Anyway, I spent the weekend catching up on some of the 2009 movies I'd missed out on earlier in the year: Where The Wild Things Are, Terminator: Salvation, Drag Me To Hell and Up. T4 was a decent actionfilm, no more no less. Drag Me To Hell was very funny and scary and almost as good as Evil Dead 2. Up was good but far from Pixar's best movies. Where The Wild Things Are was magical and made me cry at the end, second best film of the year(after Inglorious Basterds).
    Last edited by henke; 3rd Jan 2010 at 11:48.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I'd like the_grip to elaborate on why he thought that the aliens were poorly done. As in quality of visual effects or in terms of writing, etc?

EVERYTHING about the aliens' predicament was explained by the film's exposition (eg they're the thick worker class, hence why there's never been an organised resistance.)

The visual effects may've suffered because Weta Workshop was too busy with Avatar and thus had to out source the bulk of the work to a Canadian VFX house. Also because it was a fucking low budget indie film in comparison to the usual hulking Hollywood blockbusters.

BTW Peter Jackson is just a producer, not the director. herp derp

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, the part where his wife instantly turns her back on him when the rumors start going around and then later on does a 180 and start believing in him again grated a bit.
    I got the impression that she didn't know what to think at first and/or had someone listening in the room with her - her father or one of his goons.

And T4 was utter shit. The action wasn't even any good.

Also lols at the Peter Jackson mention. Shows how much attention people pay. Mzungus schtweeee.

And tell us at least 3 you did enjoy for comparison please.
    Science fiction? I've got a long list, but I'd definitely include Bladerunner, Alien... it's hard with Sci-Fi b/c all the old classics spring to mind, and those are somewhat of a copout... so maybe Serenity (does that count as a movie?), 12 Monkeys, and I Am Legend. I also liked A.I. now that I think of Will Smith.

In terms of movies overall, Bottlerocket, Shaun of the Dead, No Country for Old Men, The Big Lebowski, and so on. Dead Alive, as I mentioned above, was fantastic... a classic in my mind. I like other bigger Jackson movies like LOTR, too. I'm trying to think of more modern movies... it is easy to include classics.

I have a large collection of old kung fu movies that I would include, most are Shaw Bros. or Gordon Liu flicks. I also like a bunch of B grade Asian movies.

Really the main reason I didn't like District 9 is because it felt like it was a B movie trying not to be. I didn't have a problem with the wife turning her back and then doing a 180... to me that is actually probably more realistic because heightened confusion can cause emotional wish-washiness. Instead, I thought the characters were just poorly written, unimaginative, and unrealistic. The main character's entire script, even before the infection, was way too over the top and B grade to be believable. The bad guy, the military dude, was not like any realistic military officer... unless you are watching a movie parodied by MST3K. None of the characters emulated real human emotion or reactions, yet the movie was a social commentary. Huh?

The whole movie was an attempt to be original with Sci-Fi, and it had the potential for that - it was somewhat of an Ender's Game feel to me, at least at the start, maybe just b/c the aliens were bug-like - but it ended up being a B grade movie that really wasn't even good on that level. There was a message to the movie, but it is an overdone message. There was no emotional involvement, and I neither cared for nor did I believe any of the actors. I didn't really care if the aliens made it or not b/c the entire sculpture of the picture of humanity was so unbelievable and shallow that it was impossible to engage. It felt like a B grade movie. Had it been billed as such, maybe it could have succeeded, but then it didn't even get that right b/c it was trying to not to be a B flick.

It was just a blah movie. Coming from a name that has had so many great films, it was a double flop.

I'd like the_grip to elaborate on why he thought that the aliens were poorly done. As in quality of visual effects or in terms of writing, etc?

EVERYTHING about the aliens' predicament was explained by the film's exposition (eg they're the thick worker class, hence why there's never been an organised resistance.)
    I did get the aliens' situation - it was made clear. However, from the first moment I saw one of the aliens on the screen, I moaned at the CGI. They were too flashy and clean, and there were too many holes and inconsistencies (why did the one alien know how to fly the ship but the rest were simply barbaric cow head eaters, for example?).

BTW Peter Jackson is just a producer, not the director. herp derp
    Yeah I know. Blomkamp is his protege. Either way Jackson's still stamping the movie with his name, so there ya go.

This is all just my opinion, but I really thought the movie sucked and sucked hard. It is a shame, too, b/c it had an interesting premise from the beginning but it was mangled in a horrid way.
    Last edited by the_grip; 3rd Jan 2010 at 21:10.

Just to flip from movies, I am working my way through Dexter and I really like it. After Weeds died mid third season, I had lost hope in Showtime's choice of shows, but Dexter is great.

Page 24 of 90 FirstFirst ... 49141920212223242526272829343944495459646974 ... LastLast