TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 4 Officially Announced!

Thank you so very much, Rene!!

That is seriously encouraging news indeed!

Thanks for the response, René; I've joined up at the official forums, so I'll keep an eye out there for information :-)

Only thing I request is.

1. runs on a good engine (not flesh)
    2. made for PC first consoles second
    3. level editor included in the retail release
    4. rope arrows
    5. swimmable water
    6. Stephen Russell, Terry Brosius and Dan Thron to be part of the voice acting
    7. Eric Brosius to do the sound/music.

just one or two things

Yeahhh !!!! Am one happy taffer today !!!!!! !!!!

Eidos Montreal
    Quote Originally Posted by massimilianogoi View Post
    But why thief4.com still has a '-'??
    Should be working now. Refresh your browser and/or clear your cache.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    I'll be the first to ask, when is the game coming out? Someone had to say it.
    Umm...

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    What Fett said. René, I hope you can grow a burrick hide.
    I think I have after the Deus Ex fans got their claws into me! But I realize that everything comes from the heart since you're all fans of the originals so the intentions are pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Br4thr4n View Post
    In light of recent news, I have decided to change my username.
    Too funny!

Eidos Montreal
    For those of us in North America, or if you just generally have access to G4TV, check out Electric Playground at 6:00pm EST tonight (Monday the 11th) for an interview with our General Manager, Stéphane D'Astous.

René, are you up for kidnapping some ex-LGSers? There's a few within a fairly short drive... (and by short drive I mean however long it takes to go down through Vermont and then over to Boston... which probably isn't a very short drive at all)

It would be good thieving practice... you could relate your experience to the developers and they could use it to add more realism to the game

Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    I can't confirm anything right now or the dev team will kill me! But the team has studied the previous three games and evaluated how they differed and for what reasons, as well as reading fan feedback. That's all I can say for now!
    Can you confirm that the dev team has studied some Fan Missions as well (you don't have to say which ones)? Or at least that they're aware of the creative and prolific fan mission community which has had a huge hand in keeping the Thief community alive?
    Last edited by Twist; 11th May 2009 at 13:07.

THIEF 4? No pressure, guys, but...

I can't confirm anything right now or the dev team will kill me! But the team has studied the previous three games and evaluated how they differed and for what reasons, as well as reading fan feedback. That's all I can say for now!
    Thanks Rene! I'm sure the game is in good hands.

No pressure, but Thief: The Dark Project was the single biggest influence on my gaming life!! I couldn't play the game for SIX MONTHS after I bought it due to problems with my computer. When I finally got it to work, the anticipation was completely justified. I can still remember playing some of the levels well into the early hours, in the dark with my headphones on, almost trying not to breathe as a guard walked past...

My enjoyment of The Metal Age was tinged with sadness at the desmise of Looking Glass Studios, but it was still an AMAZING game. Huge levels and a story which was familiar, but sufficiently different, to the first game. I remember listening to The Smashing Pumpkins' final album (at that time), 'Machina - The Machines of God' after I'd played a session. Seemed to fit in really well! And whereas Thief: Deadly Shadows may have been different (due to console considerations), it was still a worthy entry to the Thief universe and tapped into the atmosphere that is essential to the franchise.

Here's hoping that the new game will still be set in the same medieval/tech world of the originals (though with a scale larger than the city in Thief: Deadly Shadows please!) and that it maintains the same sense of freedom as to how mission objectives are accomplished.

xx
    Last edited by chagnampra; 13th May 2009 at 09:57.

The worst kept secret in gaming finally comes out from the shadows! Yes, it's official: Thief 4 is in development at Eidos Montréal!

Sorry I haven't been active much but I had to remain quiet in case people *really* started drawing conclusions! But I'm here now! To start, check out www.thief4.com and the official forum at http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268. No worries though, I don't expect TTLG to migrate there.

The community here is amazing and everyone at Eidos Montreal has been watching the activity here over the past few months. Thanks for all the work keeping the Thief community alive for all these years. I'm but a mere newcomer while you guys have been working hard for years and the whole studio here is really appreciative of that. Thief is alive and well thanks to you!

René
    Thanks René. It's so awesome to be acknowledged over here. TTLG really is a place for thief fans. Thanks for coming out of the shadows and talking to us here at TTLG. Oh, and by the way, I got a failure notice when sending an email to TH4 AT eidosmontreal DOT com

Just plain fantastic and wonderfully great news to me.
    BA that is just so funny. I love the Burricks

Quote Originally Posted by chagnampra View Post
    Oh, and if the undead pop up, that's fine by me!!
    In moderation, of course.

SERIOUS moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    In moderation, of course.

SERIOUS moderation.

I loved Thief 2 and all but I think it was definitely lacking in places that scared the crap out of me. I think both technology and fantasy both have their places in the Thief world and one should not be excluded or made to be just a small small part because a few people don't like them.

I'll say there should definitely be more non-monster/whatever levels, but a few would not be a bad thing!

Return to the Cathedral and The Cradle were two of the scariest levels ive played in any game ever and I would very much miss that horror if it got excluded.

René, do you know what platforms this game will be released on?

Quote Originally Posted by chagnampra View Post
    Ha ha, I know what you mean - but I feel kind of sorry for the bad rep they got after The Dark Project!

xx
    I don't.

Abominations; all of 'em.

Now..... spiders; there's a different story entirely!

Oh yeah; and let's not forget the little darling frogbeasts and burricks!

I can handle those ......

Thief + Horror

Quote Originally Posted by Cobak View Post
    I loved Thief 2 and all but I think it was definitely lacking in places that scared the crap out of me. I think both technology and fantasy both have their places in the Thief world and one should not be excluded or made to be just a small small part because a few people don't like them.

I'll say there should definitely be more non-monster/whatever levels, but a few would not be a bad thing!

Return to the Cathedral and The Cradle were two of the scariest levels ive played in any game ever and I would very much miss that horror if it got excluded.
    Hear hear!

x

This is great great news. There were hints before, of course, but it's cool to have official confirmation. I would love it if it played somewhat like Assassin's Creed, by which I mean ability to go anywhere. This is probably the biggest problem for me with video games. If you could get there in real life you should be able to in the game.

I don't.

Abominations; all of 'em.

Now..... spiders; there's a different story entirely!

Aww, poor burricks! I would like a pet burrick - if I had a bigger house.

x

Awesome! Thanks for the announcement!

You know, as much as I hate the undead, somehow, it just wouldn't feel like Thief without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    Only thing I request is.

1. runs on a good engine (not flesh)
    2. made for PC first consoles second
    3. level editor included in the retail release
    4. rope arrows
    5. swimmable water
    6. Stephen Russell, Terry Brosius and Dan Thron to be part of the voice acting
    7. Eric Brosius to do the sound/music.

just one or two things
    Yes to all of there. Also, I have one thing to add:

8. Less linearity to the levels.

Please?

They announced Deus Ex 3 would be on the Crystal Dynamics ( http://www.crystald.com/ ) Engine (latest version was used on Tomb Raider Underworld I believe...) - so I'm guestimating they will use the same engine for Thief 4.
    Deus Ex 3 to use Crystal Dynamics game engine

Studio head of Eidos Montreal says team will share tech with Crystal Dynamics as he discusses plans for franchise

Eidos has big plans for the new installment in its esteemed Deus Ex franchise, and will be using the game engine created by the Crystal Dynamics team working on another of its next-gen revamps, Lara Croft Tomb Raider, to power the new game.

Next-gen games technology is being shared between Crystal Dynamics and new studio Eidos Montreal to help give Deus Ex 3 a technical headstart, studio head Stephane D'Astous, who previously worked for Ubisoft Montreal, told Develop in an exclusive interview.
    DevelopMag.com Article Link

Yea, any word on Eric's involvement so far?
    And is there any way for those of us without G4TV to watch whatever special is going to be on tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    Welcome Rene - prepare to become the most abused member of our humble forum.
    Thought that was me!.

I believe Eric is currently the Audio Director at 2K as well. He also won an award recently for Sound in Guitar Hero I believe..

Now - I do wonder if Mr Tim Stellmach (aka Evil Spirit to us old fogeys at TTLG.com) could be wooed away from Vicarious Visions (currently Design Director) to do Thief 4.

I doubt it - but it's fun to think about....

René, I have a question. We're obviously not going to be able to get much information about what Thief 4 will be like, but how about telling us how Eidos arrived at the decision to start production? It would be interesting to hear about how that happened behind the scenes.

I was scared of Burricks until I attacked one. The poor thing squealed and I felt really bad.

Yes Hello Rene.
    I can nver hit a Burrick an to hear them squeal just plain upsets me.
    I just try to out-run them.

Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast