TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My background music for FMs etc. (originally for the Hammerite Imperium)

Moghedian, I was being general. Yes, it's mono and I think official thief files are 22 khz. ShadowSneaker's tracks that I converted are 16 bit 44.1 khz though.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Oh, sorry. Well you mentioned 7SoM, but I didn't see a mention of them used for HI in this thread.
    7SoM is HI Mission 1. I'm confused...

I agree with biker, your best bet is OGG or WMA if you want good quality and compression, instead of MP3 or IMA ADPCM (which is only 4 bit).

Well excuse me sir, I didn't know that it was called that.

Seriously, I thought you were talking about something else. Guess I'm silly.

Thanks for the info guys. Judging by your opinions I think it's best to host at least the '16 bit 44kHz' waves, because it's the highest quality option in a commonly used format. Everyone can then encode the songs into whatever format they like. I also talked to the Dark Mod and they said that Waves & OGGs should be the most suitable for them.

Naturally I think fan mission makers should encode the '16 bit 44kHz' waves into OGGs or whatever they prefer, because including the highest quality stuff will needlessly bloat the mission size. I'll make a thread in the fan mission section about what format they'd prefer, and if one comes as a clear favorite it could be feasible to offer the songs already in that format (for those who are not comfortable encoding the stuff themselves).

P.S. My first post now includes a link to the '16 bit 44kHz' waves hosted at darklurker. Thank ye once again guys for hosting them.

A high-quality ogg should be enough for all non-superhero humans.

FLAC is probably the best format for digital masters. http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Woo! I'm realizing yet again just about how SWEEEET all this stuff is, atolonen. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    you could use a better codec, say .wmv or .aac, you could get the same high bitrate but the file would be half the size and the treble would be much better for it (mp3 cuts of at 12-16khz...)
    Well, the mp3 standard allows use of a sampling frequency of 44,1 kHz or 48 kHz, in which case there will be no audible clipping.

Btw, GREAT stuff atolonen!
    Last edited by The Eye; 8th Feb 2009 at 20:03.

Thank ye again.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    A high-quality ogg should be enough for all non-superhero humans.

FLAC is probably the best format for digital masters. http://flac.sourceforge.net/
    I agree on the OGG part. It's my favorite lossy encoding, and it seems people view it to be superior to MP3 in many aspects.

FLAC is a good format, but I'm not sure if people (those that are not too audio oriented) are comfortable using it. Therefore I think the most known format (16 bit 44 kHz wav) is the best for the high quality originals.

Quote Originally Posted by zil View Post
    Woo! I'm realizing yet again just about how SWEEEET all this stuff is, atolonen. Thanks!
    Thanksies Ziili, my man! You should get your Hammerite Imperium songs back online too. People are interested in getting them again.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I'll second that! I never heard them the first time around.

Here's a bit of thread necromancy. ("When there's no more room in hell, dead threads shall walk the first page".)

A long version (worked into a full 10+ minute song) of one of my Hammerite Imperium ambient tracks ("Dark Spaces") has been released on a free mp3 compilation.
    - Get the track here
    - Or the whole compilation from this link.

My track is released with a creative commons license, so you're free to share, edit, etc. it

Clearinghouse
    Thanks, atolonen

Quote Originally Posted by atolonen View Post
    My track is released with a creative commons license, so you're free to share, edit, etc. it
    Ah this is handy to know, I was just about to PM you for permission to use some of tracks in The Dakrmod. :-)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad I've found it. The tracks are awesome. Currently listening to Night's Work and it has a definite Thief vibe to it.