TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games (gog.com)

So that's what's been messing me up. I bought Serious Sam for my Xbox (the original), when I had just got it. That version had Serious Sam 1 and Second encounter both under the same name on it. I've been wondering all this time, if there's some expansion or whatever that I have missed.

It's a great game. Serious Sam 2 is so shit compared. The boss fights are so awesome in the first, not so in the second.

Taking a break
    You bought an FPS for a console.

Serious Sam suits it's fine (except for the multiplayer, but who plays that?), because in the end, it's surprisingly un-twitchy shooter. I haven't had any problems with the control scheme even though I share your sentiments in this matter.

Serious Sam is a pretty horizontal shooter for the most part. I can definitely think of shooters that would be much worse on console. I would have great respect for anyone who finished Far Cry 2 on console (especially considering they removed quicksave from the console versions).

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Serious Sam is a pretty horizontal shooter for the most part. I can definitely think of shooters that would be much worse on console. I would have great respect for anyone who finished Far Cry 2 on console (especially considering they removed quicksave from the console versions).
    So do I have your respect?

Yes indeed. Keep it secret, keep it safe.

Age of Wonders

Dire Penguin

e4dc85b97257d4ace5&#.jpg

God, I almost want to buy the game just for that :)

I know more or less nothing about this, and I'll most likely pass purely on grounds of lack of time, but it certainly sounds decent.

Any fans here?

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Dire Penguin
    So wacky xD

Sweet, Age of Wonders. I can finally pick up Shadow Magic

...erm, once GOG posts it.
    Last edited by Zerker; 28th Sep 2010 at 16:34.

Uh...what the hell?

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.
    Well that came out of the blue.

Would have been nice to have had a week's warning or something. CD Projekt isn't earning points with me for this one.

Booooo I guess they just didn't sell enough games. Or maybe some publishers were having second thoughts about having their games DRM-free download. Either way, it would have been nice to have let the customers download the games and burn them to DVD before turning off the service - I'm sure a few customers can't now re-install their games.

Quote Originally Posted by gog.com
    On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
    This somehow doesn't fit.. They have a solution to allow everyone to re-download games they own. They could easily have disallowed any new purchases while keeping the download servers up.. if they are afraid of a download spike, they could just have indicated that the download servers would remain up for a number of months.. easing the pain some.

On the topic of why, I doubt it had much to do with the publishers, I assume gog made clear deals with them and that the publishers were allowed to pull their games from the shop if they felt like it.

Sad to see gog go. I never got round to getting me a copy of the latest patched Arx..

Jesus. What the fuck. I was just about to buy Gothic 2 DRM free tomorrow. BULLSHIT.

Moderator and Priest
    Damnit. This absolutely blows.

edit: A little Neoseeker article on GOG closing...with an update. To quote it directly for those of you who aren't big on clicking random links:

"GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, 'As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions' "

Kinda hard not to jump to conclusions here, Tom. The site blurb seems pretty nail in the coffin final to me. Still, I'll remain hopeful simply because you've all got my games ransomed, and...oh hell, I'll admit it...because I liked GOG so damn much.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 19th Sep 2010 at 14:51.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    well i wasn't going to buy the witcher 2 anyway

Know what you mean gunny - I was about to buy Arx Fatalis and Gothic 1 this week

Well. fuck this shit.

What the fuck? I was just about to get into this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    "GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, 'As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions' "
    My intuition says that they'll be launching a platform to distribute new games too.

Or, they're just assholes.

Wiki is wondering if the website was hacked, since the announcement was made at the weekend and GOG staff do not work weekends and they also gave no notice. Hmmm.

Edit - just seen Renz's edit, so it looks genuine. Maybe they're just changing the pricing structure, or allowing some DRM? Also, the website was in Beta for about 2 years, maybe they're moving to a Gold version?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    Know what you mean gunny - I was about to buy Arx Fatalis and Gothic 1 this week
    I have them both. Or at least I did. I never saved the executables, since I figured GOG would be around for more than a year and a half. I mean how is it that they can get a couple new publishers signed on not even a week ago, and then suddenly die without any warning whatsoever.

Though prevailing rumors seem to point towards this being a shift from beta into full on official status. There are links everywhere with supposedly official people saying "GOG is not dead". A bit confusing. If this is the case, the whole "we're gone-surprise we're better than ever" stunt would be about shittiest thing they could do.

edit again: Interesting Neogaf thread. They're talking about Polish anonymous investors, tons of stock trading, and all kinds of crazy business world antics going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    Maybe they're just changing the pricing structure, or allowing some DRM?
    I don't know why would they change the pricing, the 6-10 dollar range is pretty much a standard for old games. I'd guess it will be something about DRM.

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast