TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games (gog.com)

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Mediocre != bad.
    Well yeah. Who said anything about bad?

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    @Shadowcat
    Yes, but are any of those considered bad games? Mediocre != bad.
    To borrow a phrase, "Not even that good != bad."

Doctorfrog's point is very valid. It's not like you're being taken to the cleaners at six bucks each but not every game on GOG is gold. Pretending otherwise isn't great for your credibility.

The Longest Journey

I have been getting an astounding amount of play out of IL-2 Sturmovik with my friends. What was basically a challenging stressfest on my own is shaping up to be a massively fun and hilarious multiplayer experience.

It's between IL-2 and Painkiller as being the best ten spot I've spent on a GOG game so far.

Psychonauts

Psychonauts for a tenner (US). Nice one, GOG!

GoG also have a wishlist for their members to say which games they would like to add to the GoG collection. Currently System Shock 2 is #1, and System Shock is #3 Whilst it would be nice, I haven't seen any Eidos games on there yet so I guess they'd need to negotiate with them.

I wouldn't hold your breath. That's been on there probably since the dang website existed. We'll see in the next 10 years (lol) if gog can get them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    GoG also have a wishlist for their members to say which games they would like to add to the GoG collection. Currently System Shock 2 is #1, and System Shock is #3 Whilst it would be nice, I haven't seen any Eidos games on there yet so I guess they'd need to negotiate with them.
    Eidos? Surely you mean EA, right?

Yes you're right, this is what happens when I post late at night! EA for System Shock I & II, Eidos for the Thief series. I'd be VERY surprised if EA put any of their games on GoG.

... but I'd love it if they did. They have a large back catalog of exellent games.

So I bought The Longest Journey and Psychonauts from GOG.com. My first purchases. I didn't like installing their own soft for downloading (okay, it's not necessary), but it worked fine, so I guess it's ok.

Anyways, The longest Journey has so so so much voice-acting in it. It's just amazing. Lots of unimportant dialogue as well. I've only just entered Ancardia, but I think this might end up as my favourite adventure game.

Man, I wish *I* hadn't played that game way too many times so I could enjoy it again.

And then you get Dreamfall afterwards!

Which was a major change from the original, and a bit of a dissapointment, for me, at least. The moment combat (!?) came into play, I ditched the game and put it next to Jade Empire as another huge letdown.

What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Which was a major change from the original, and a bit of a dissapointment, for me, at least. The moment combat (!?) came into play, I ditched the game and put it next to Jade Empire as another huge letdown.

What were they thinking?
    DIfferent strokes and all that, but what were you thinking? Those are 2 very good games.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    A. Agree that the game was initially a disappointment, but after replaying it I came to appreciate it as much as TLJ - some ways obviously worse (said combat) but in some ways better (considerably more ambitious story, better art design).

B. In other words, you ditched the game very early in the process. What you may not realize is that combat takes up a miniscule portion of the game. It sucks, but it's easy and it's barely there, so it doesn't subtract from the game in any substantial way.

As for Jade Empire....that's pretty much the opposite. Love it or hate it, Dreamfall at least tried to do something new and interesting. Jade Empire was Bioware shoe-horning every generic character archetype and sidequest they'd ever come up with into a simplistic CHINESE world and making it all revolve around a plot with considerably less depth than the first Star Wars. Also, the combat system is VERY prominent in that title, while not being really any better than Dreamfall's.

Sanitarium

I'm kinda double-posting here (already mentioned it in the "mess with your head" thread), but this one caught me by surprise: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sanitarium

The game has had lots of mentions here over the years, and I believe is generally regarded as being an excellent game despite some woeful voice acting. It's one that I was always a little sorry I didn't buy (even if I can envisage it still being in my unplayed pile), and I haven't seen it around in recent times, so I'm most happy to see it crop up here.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Hey, seems that they added the Cyan Worlds catalogue.

Is Myst as good as the hype claimed it to be or was it actually really dull? I've never played it, despite my brother owning a copy since release.

I oddly also recall getting a parody game called Pyst for free, bundled with my copy of Wing Commander: Armada. I never bothered to play that either.

If you like mysterious puzzle games, then it's good. It requires thought, observation, a good sense of adventure and a personality that won't get frustrated easily. And a bit of common sense as well.
    I loved all of the Myst games (haven't finished the fifth one yet), for the record.
    I've never played Pyst, but from what I've heard it has the solutions for all of the puzzles are written in graffiti all over the place, so I supposed it could do as a walkthrough if you get stuck (though Myst Masterpiece has a hint system, I believe).

EDIT: The Most Helpful Review on the Myst page gives a great description of the game and a small problem you'll have if you use iTunes or the latest version of Quicktime.
    Last edited by Enchantermon; 18th Dec 2009 at 08:46.

Myst is that good. Its bad rap is entirely undeserved. Not so sure about Riven. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, although I can't say it's inferior in any specific way. Myst was just lightning in a bottle, I think, and for $5.99 it's a screaming good deal.

And while you're at it, The Manhole may seem like a kid's game but it's pretty goddamn awesome too.

The Manhole is a fun distraction, as long as you don't go in expecting much. I have the original version of it on a DOS computer here; I didn't even know a Masterpiece version existed.
    Riven is much, much better than Myst. It's longer and more complex, and relies a lot more on the player having a sharp eye and a good head.

So I wound up grabbing Incoming + expansion (which just sounds like good arcade fun), Descent 1+2 (only had #2 before), Stronghold (sounds like the original is still the best), Sanitarium (finally), Bloodrayne (found the demo unexpectedly enjoyable, back when), and Original War (which just sounds like a fascinating non-standard RTS) at the big GOG sale.

I decided to donate some of the money I saved from the sale to the DXX-Rebirth guy, as I've been using that for my Descent 2 Vertigo Levels play-through, and will do likewise for my new purchase.

I'm not sure if the following works unless you are registering a new account (which seems weird, but that's how the descriptions make it sound), but remember that you can also donate a little money to various projects (DXX Rebirth, ScummVM, DOS Box, and no doubt others as well) simply by following the GOG links from their site before making your purchases.

Might be worth a try if you are planning on spending up large at the sale, even if you already have an account, just in case :)
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 22nd Dec 2009 at 21:18.

The way the GamersWithJobs podcast guys laid it out, you click a GOG.com ad on a site, sign up for a new account, then every game you buy with that account, ever, the site that hosted the ad gets a little change.

Otherwise, either they get nothing, or just ad click-through money, which is probably nothing or the nearest thing to it. Your heart is in the right place, though

3... 2... 1...

Oh man... I think a good portion of the GOG community all hit refresh at the same time :)

I'll update this if I can load the page any time soon.

The news is that Activision has joined and Arcanum and Gabriel Knight 1 have been added to the catalogue for $5.99 each.

Oh yeah! This is awesome news. The possibilities...

"In a landmark deal for the DRM-free digital distribution movement, Activision Publishing Inc. is bringing a wide range of classic games to GOG.com!

"It's now official, we're bringing you the biggest announcement in GOG.com's history - Activision with it's wealth of PC gaming gems has joined our DRM-free family. With the announcement we're revealing first two classics which should be instantly recognizable to any fan of good, old games: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. Other games from the Activision catalogue will be unveiled gradually in the coming weeks, so expect more from this publisher during Month of Activision on GOG.com!"

Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762 ... LastLast