TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 230 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 5740

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

More WIP

I have reinstalled Dromed and have started a new mission. I actually came up with a story first, this time. The theme or story is loosely based on a dream I had where I was in the old Victorian style house I grew up in and at the same time I was in a Thief mission. Since I learned quite a bit from the mistakes of the last mission this one should work better, and maybe even be fun to play.

Thanks to encouragement from Queue, Ive dusted off my very first FM from back in August 2002
    Last save was dated may 14 2003

So its my noob mission. I gave up on it since my 2nd FM recieved bad results from the testers for being way too big. (Which is also "abandoned")
    Last edited by Vlad Midnight; 3rd Feb 2009 at 23:33.

Hey, good to see you working in T2, Vlad.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Hey, good to see you working in T2, Vlad.
    I'd say, even better to see him working on a T1 project...

Well heres my Thief Gold on hold for a few weeks.
    I made a thread with these shots, but at the time I had forgotten about this thread.

Last edited by Vlad Midnight; 3rd Feb 2009 at 23:33.

Ooops, sorry, I saw the light around the flames and thought it looked coloured...

No, you were right. The first post is in fact T2, the trees definitely give it away. Tried hard to import them into gold with no luck. They were giant objects that in no way resembled a tree. The jorge leaves I could've fixed but why bother when the tree wont shape right.

Those are some nice screenshots there LarryG and Vlad Midnight!

I have made pretty bid dent in the mission I started the other day. The working title is: Basso's Treachery. It is a mini city/mansion(really big house) type mission.

A test room I've been working on to try and pin the overall architecture style...

Wille: Superb stuff. Really looks like T3.

Directed at Willie, fine job, those screens look awesome, especially that last one. It, ahhh, looks a bit foreboding.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Great work, Cog !

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    A test room I've been working on to try and pin the overall architecture style...
    My jaw is dropped here. Stunning work.

That's for T2?

That looks awesome Cog! The textures look really crisp - are you using smaller texture sizes? (15-14?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    That looks awesome Cog! The textures look really crisp - are you using smaller texture sizes? (15-14?)
    Does anyone actually still use 16? I don't think I've ever used such a high texture scale.

I do. Fewer repetitions.

Thanks, guys. Glad you like 'em. Hopefully now I have the architecture style and general atmosphere sorted the rest of the build won't take as long as the initial fiddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    ...are you using smaller texture sizes? (15-14?)
    Size 15. I've read a lot of stuff on here regarding tweaks, and I found that anything smaller than 15 tends to look too crisp? It might seem like a strange thing to say but, personally, the visual effect is not good and doesn't even suit the old Thief setting when you go any lower - particularly when it comes to the shadow outlines. Plus, R Soul makes a good point about repetition.

I still use 16 and even 17 occasionally, in large spaces, as R Soul said to minimize the repetition.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use multiple textures to avoid repetition in a large area? If you can afford the extra brushes, of course.

That's a tough call - For FP I'm stacking textures like you suggest NV - but man, just about every space is double the brushes.

I think if you're using the stock textures you're kind of stuck using 16 and up since they tend to be pretty small (32x32, 64x64 etc.)

All the floors in FP are size 14 because of the window shadow effects. I'm using other shadows to avoid repetition - but's it's been a real job to stay on top of.

...and extra textures

Because of this problem I always try to avoid large areas, and to add something on the walls to hide/break the repetition.

I used to only have textures with 15 in size, and eventually 16 to add variety with the same texture.
    But I'm trying something different with my next mission, to use most of the time 14 in size, and even go down to 13 or 12 for small details here and there... Now that's getting tough !

One word of caution on that Drk, though is that too many size 14 and below on screen seems to cause your textures to flip between lit/unlit during gameplay after a few minutes. I never nailed down exactly what caused it - but it only ever seemed to happen when long views were involved.

I think Yandros mentioned he had had the same problem once - He may have a clearer idea of what causes it.

I know, I've had many bugs before with textures, but so far so good. I know with a large surface it can have bugs, like a 100 wide brush with a 14 scale texture on it. Also if lightings are too complex.

Anyway no problem so far, I always contain the view in order not to have many things in sight, not because of textures but because of my design. The "scene complexity too high" is my best ennemy...

Page 41 of 230 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691141 ... LastLast