TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgotten soundscapes of the Hammerite Imperium

forgotten soundscapes of the Hammerite Imperium

Due to lack of a scripter, the grand Hammerite Imperium is basically stalled until further notice. And for fear of losing an audience, all the music I’ve created for this project wants to be published, thus I’m not going to stand in the way. One way or another, you would have heard it, because if the 1st mission of HI is released, this music (with atolonen’s too, of course; he’s another composer and ‚head of sound’ at HI) will be featured in it. You’ll just get it quicker. So, as they say ‚have a burrick on the house’, sit back, relax.. and listen. Also, for the sake of tears and sweat that went into creating all this, I ask you not to.. you know.. not to use any of this under your name or do anything evil with this. You can of course reference, but you know, please don’t do anything disrespectful, ’cause it was what it was - HARD WORK. And if HI really dies, all of this will be available for use in future FMs. For free, but ask permission just so I’d know what’s happening.

- soothing, more calm pieces -

Awakening 1
    Awakening 2
    Cold
    The Beginning
    The Majestic Forest

- dark backgrounds -

Blackening [loop]
    Cellar
    Telmantal
    Distant
    Unearthly
    De Profundis
    Hearm
    Hollow
    Strings
    Nowhere

- cutscenes [probably] -

Death of a Brother
    Standoff 1
    Standoff 2
    Dreorig
    Firith
    Lost
    Undercroft
    Passage of the East
    Striation Over Calaeneth
    Earth And Fire
    Ante Bellum

- one instrument-

Piano 1 [not good]
    Piano 2
    Cello

- songs with vocal-

Berethar
    Choir
    The Prophecy
    My Vocal [used in some songs here]

- other/various -

Beset With Danger
    Solemn
    Guruthos
    Death
    Just A Little Violin Effect

- gathered from around the world -

Aspiciens Alonge [from the oratorium 'Jeanne d'Arc au Bucher' I sang with my choir]
    Lamento [a song with my choir]
    Neosymphony [contribution by friend Xan the guitarist of Singapore]
    Paradisi Gloria [song with my choir from a contest]
    Rutam & ziili - Sayonee [contribution by friend Rutam Rane of Bombay, India | I added chords only]
    Last edited by zil; 19th Jul 2006 at 16:43.

Good idea Ziili, you have a lot of great work there that probably wouldn't have been used, even if the Imperium hadn't been stalled. Everyone should give his stuff a listen, whether or not you plan to use it in a FM. Thanks for sharing it.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by zil
    If/when Hammerite Imperium does come out, please redo this to remove that shrill whistle noise. It's almost literally painful to listen to.

EDIT: "Beset With Danger" and "Earth and Fire" are missing.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 19th Jul 2006 at 14:57.

ZylonBane, both of those missing songs should work now, Earth And Fire had a little renaming problem, Beset With Danger uploading as I speak.
    About Blackening though, I've to say those screeching noises were intended like that, high pitched and sudden noises to freak the player out while down in a cold cellar, nearing a Hammerite waiting for a chance to blackjack him. They freaked you out, eh? Job well done then

Zylonbane's right. It doesn't freak us out, it hurts our eardrums. I liked the song until the feedback cut in, then I had to take off my headphones.

Wow, good work there. I especially like Cold and De Profundis. Only thing that itched me was the cello (sample?), that sounded a bit rubber-ish.

May I ask a technical question? Would the tracks have been packed to the missions as mp3s or converted to ADPCM? I ask because, that's easily 1 GB of WAV data you got there

ZylonBane
    They freaked you out, eh? Job well done then
    No, I wasn't freaked out. That noise is not "freaky"-- it's loud, high-pitched, and annoying. It's the auditory equivalent of stabbing an icepick into your eardrums.

It's a shame, because otherwise that's a really good loop.

wow, very nice. "Cold" is awesome and the others are just incredible.

Oh well, thanks for the comments. About 'Blackening' again, I must own up and tell you that it's kind of my own fault too. My composition process starts from playing the song in on my synthesizer, then recording it onto my PC and postprocessing/editing it there as a wave. Unfortunately, my synth only has 3 free song slots (with 6 tracks each), so inevitably something gets deleted when I move on to creating new stuff. Especially when in my mind a song is considered 'finished'. It just gets deleted. Blackening's highpitched tones were kind of an experiment of some sorts. Recorded they are now, and a pain in the ass to remove. Of course, you might like 'Cellar' which is quite similar to Blackening, and without those high tones. Then again, I might try 'replaying' the whole song, I have no notes though ('cause no musical education = no skills to write songs down). But I might try creating something similar. Who knows. Nothing to lose eh?
    About those waves being over 1 GB.. well, lol. I've never actually thought about that, but you must bear in mind that one mission would only feature a few of them, not all, so it might be all good in the end. Again, thanks for the comments!

Unfortunately, my synth only has 3 free song slots (with 6 tracks each), so inevitably something gets deleted when I move on to creating new stuff. Especially when in my mind a song is considered 'finished'. It just gets deleted.
    Is that a hard synth? Even then it should be able to export the data as midis or something... or record the individual tracks. I can't imagine loosing everything when creating new stuff, what a bother.

About those waves being over 1 GB.. well, lol. I've never actually thought about that, but you must bear in mind that one mission would only feature a few of them, not all, so it might be all good in the end.
    True. Only a problem if you'd install the campaign as a whole. I mostly asked because I had terrible problems looping ADPCM files (besides the quality loss).

yea, smooth the whistle out a bit
    a slightly softer sound
    it hurts the ear as is
    nice eerie clip apart from the physical hurt

Whoa, good stuff. Don't remember you posting this over at the Imperium forums...

ZylonBane, both of those missing songs should work now, Earth And Fire had a little renaming problem, Beset With Danger uploading as I speak.
    About Blackening though, I've to say those screeching noises were intended like that, high pitched and sudden noises to freak the player out while down in a cold cellar, nearing a Hammerite waiting for a chance to blackjack him. They freaked you out, eh? Job well done then
    The idea is good, but the placing is off. I suggest that you synchronize the sound the the appearance of an well placed opponent, overhead (and not immediately reachable), for instance, to give a sense of foreboding. Remember to use the "shriek" sound ONCE. It does get annoying after the first time.

The problem (other than it physically hurts the ears) is that it's not a shriek, it's microphone feedback. It doesn't bring to mind an eerie scream of an unknown being, but rather someone holding their microphone too close to the speakers. It's not only painful to hear but a real immersion killer.

Well, it would be relatively easy to filter those high notes out, since there's nothing else happening at those frequencies.

ZylonBane
    That's true. You could use an FFT filter to split the song and screechy notes into separate files, drop the notes down a few octaves, and then combine both files back together.

With apologies to zil.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 22nd Mar 2010 at 11:20. Reason: URL

Hmm. Well as much as I might frown upon my stuff being edited, I actually like what you did with this. Perhaps I could've edited this out myself too, but just didn't have the time. I never expected to receive such amount of feedback to just one song, so that's well appreciated. Those screeches I had might sound very different on other headphones/speakers - however, I can't discuss that matter since I've not heard what you have, on my headphones, the screech sounded okay to me. Anyway. The thing is I liked the edit and it sounds very ominous, even more so than before. Wanna be credited among song authors now, ZylonBane?

WOW this music is fantastic really good stuff shame about the project on hold cant wait to play it if it get released lol but really good music

You actually had a few songs that I bothered keeping for my Media Liberary. Thats no mean feat, lemme tell you.
    And I'm totally addicted to Awakening 2, so kudos to you.

Good zil.

Unfortunately, Im back on dial-up and have even less time. But the tracks I do have are just like Darth said, on constant repeat.

It's good to finally hear some real and decent sounds coming from the Thief page.

ZylonBane
    Wanna be credited among song authors now, ZylonBane?
    Glad you like it, but no, I'd feel ridiculous taking a song credit for just running a filter over someone else's work.

All the other songs are great, by the way. I suppose this one track got so much attention because, well... it's the nail that sticks up that gets the hammer.

And also, the track Zylon brought up happened to be the first track I downloaded. I had to choose carefully (dialup) and that one sounded the darkest!

My initial thoughts were identical to his, and was about to post the same thing until I saw his.

Since you mentioned that you listen to the track in headphones, I assume you mixed in the phones as well. Sometimes, the odd sound or two may pop out that sounds quiet in headphones but jumps out on speakers.

I listened to it again in headphones and it was good.

I'm not going listen it for now in a hope that the Imperium eventually will see light of day.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn
    I listened to it again in headphones and it was good.
    Your headphones must have nonexistent upper-end frequency response.

I didn't know you were a fan of headphones. I always thought of you as a desktop speakers fan.