TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe I still love SS1...

TTLG Admin
    Salter of Fries

I can't believe I still love SS1...

After 15 years. 15 long (or not so long) years. I really haven't played many games lately (maybe 2 or 3 a year, tops). And even then, I play games to their finish maybe once every two years. The last one was STALKER, and before that was Metroid Prime 2 on the GameCube. So, I saw my copy of ICE Breaker on my bookshelf as I was cleaning my computer room, and it made me pull out my SS1 CD to give it another whirl. 3 days later, I sit here now in complete awe, yet again.

To still be totally glued to my computer, walking through Citadel Station again after 1.5 decades, says something. It says a lot about the talent and effort that went into making the game, about the way the game makes me feel when I play it. It is simply unmatched after all this time. Some games have come very close to toppling SS1 for the 'best game ever' award (Deus Ex, Metroid Prime 1 to name some), but after my recent excursion to Citadel Station, I know that none have ever succeeded.

And with System Shock still being able to successfully glue me to my seat like no other game has this year or last, fully immerse me into its atmosphere and world; fully being able to allow me to go into the surveillance room on the Security Level and view 5 different cameras so that I can strategically plan my next move on the way up to the Bridge; fully being able to subconsciously tell me 'No, you have to get to the Executive Level and jettison the grove before its too late'; such a game, I'm pretty positive, will never be toppled as being my number one game of all-time. The music, sound effects, level design, cyberspace, the ability to know which walls are 'obsidian slabs' and which are 'molybdenum paneling', simply *everything* is amazing.

Thank you, Looking Glass, once again, for a job superbly done. I am eternally grateful for experiencing System Shock. Here's to the next 15 years.

SShock2.com

I agree with you completely, Saam. I'm still absolutely in love with System Shock, and keep playing through it at least once or twice every year. I don't believe that any game will ever replace it as my all time favourite. I don't care if the graphics are outdated, because after a few minutes I don't really pay attention to them anymore, I just feel completely immersed. The music is still some of the best music ever made for a computer game (the Executive and Security levels' music are probably my all time favourites). I may know where most of the enemies are, but I still jump in my chair everytime I listen to some robot gearing up to attack. I still fear every single second spent in Maintenance or Beta Grove. And I still feel a great sense of accomplishment every time I see the 'It's over...' screen.

So I join in your 'thank you' to Looking Glass for such a wonderful game. And I add a 'thank you' to yourself, because we can say that TTLG is, in good part, the result of your love for System Shock

Hey, Saam. Good to see you again.
    I'm incredibly glad I got to experience the classic that is System Shock. I remember playing it for the first time and cowering in the Maintenance elevator because I was too scared of what was on the other side of that door. I remember having to go through that level to get to the higher decks and dashing through from one elevator to the next jamming my finger down on Shift and praying that I didn't get hit.
    I also remember gloriously sniping the fliers on the Security level and falling of the mile-high bridge to my...wait, how the heck am I still alive?!
    And the final fight.....I got really irritated every time I failed, but I didn't get irritated at the game like I normally would have, I got irritated at HER. That smug little AI staring at me, laughing at my pitiful attempts to silence her.
    And then, that final burst of joy when I finished, like a ray of sunshine bursting forth through a cloudy sky. System Shock was one of the few games that gave me the feeling at the end that I had really accomplished something, and that was definitely worth the pain of getting there.

Congratulations, System Shock, on 15 wonderful years, and thank you, LGS, for such a wonderful game!

And as D'Arcy said, thank you, Saam, for the part you played in starting the dysfunctional family that is TTLG.
    Is that considered flirting?
    TNTís Lair
    Citadel Conversion Project

Playing SS1 for the first time

Just wanted to add an oil flask to this lovefire for System Shock 1.

I'm actually playing it for the first time (over 9000 thanks to strangebedfellows.de for SSPortable!) and I am really shocked. I'm not an experienced player but I just can't imagine how do LGS succeed to put all that universe in a DOS game!
    Beta Grove is just jettisoned (my bad I already know all the plot 'cause I've read tons of text about SS1 thinking I'm never suppose to play it) and it just came to my mind WHAT have developers actually given us.

I got completely used to controls and grafics only by now but I have the greatest part of the game still undone.

Praise to LGS, praise to TTLG.

I can't believe I still haven't played SS1!
    After having finished SS2 a couple of times, I think I really need to get my hands on SS1. Well, there is one good thing about the fact that I haven't played it yet. It will be a new experience - like a totally new game to me, without any previous knowledge about the story.

SShock2.com

If you already played SS2, then you have at least some knowledge about System Shock's story.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    I agree with you completely, Saam. I'm still absolutely in love with System Shock, and keep playing through it at least once or twice every year. I don't believe that any game will ever replace it as my all time favourite. I don't care if the graphics are outdated, because after a few minutes I don't really pay attention to them anymore, I just feel completely immersed. The music is still some of the best music ever made for a computer game (the Executive and Security levels' music are probably my all time favourites). I may know where most of the enemies are, but I still jump in my chair everytime I listen to some robot gearing up to attack. I still fear every single second spent in Maintenance or Beta Grove. And I still feel a great sense of accomplishment every time I see the 'It's over...' screen.

So I join in your 'thank you' to Looking Glass for such a wonderful game. And I add a 'thank you' to yourself, because we can say that TTLG is, in good part, the result of your love for System Shock
    Hear hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantermon View Post
    I remember playing it for the first time and cowering in the Maintenance elevator because I was too scared of what was on the other side of that door. I remember having to go through that level to get to the higher decks and dashing through from one elevator to the next jamming my finger down on Shift and praying that I didn't get hit.
    I agree totally. I can still clearly remember trying to work up the courage to cross the deck on level 3.

SS2 is still the only game that has ever come close to the greatness of SS1.

I love the game so much I polished the box with Turtle Wax, giving that ugly bastard on the front an eternal glow that will bring me back to citadel in my dreams.

System Shock is still my number one game of all time. I can go back to it anytime and still be impressed and surprised. The talent put into it is very impressive. This gem will be strong for another 15 years, easy!

After 15 years System Shock is still for me the best and scariest game ever! I love this game. The cyberspace is so fantastic, also all the levels (rather the station), story and mini-games. Everytime i'm running through the corridors of the Citadel Station i must check out every corner and read every log-file. Great!

btw: I've got all music-files from System Shock on my mobile phone (especially as sms-ringtone). And with SS-Portable it runs fine on my new computer and notebook.

Thank you - Looking Glass - for this gem of game and thank you - TTLG - for this forum!

reversed

Well I went the reversed way, I played SS2 before SS1 and I found SS2 to be like no other game (a bit later I got as much immersed in Deus Ex which it's second version sucked !) but when I inquired about SS1 and discovered what it was for the technologies it was built on (DOS), I was astounded and like the OP, this is one of my top games although I probably played it in 2001 ; I was thoroughly impressed. As most novelties elements were already copied in the games I played before, I most probably was less impressed than if I would've played it fresh on the market. I'm very happy the game made it on gamespy top 12 games of all times.

My favorite DOS game before that was Duke Nukem 3D but SS1 was incredibly more advanced and interesting ; sometimes I find myself the time could slow down, that I could've enjoyed a couple more years playing Duke Nukem 3D on modem recruiting on a local IRC room users in my area code as playing on the internet was just way too much overhead. I also did that for Quake 1 but that's another technology.

All thing considered, SS1 is my second best game of all I've known, topped only by The Elder Scrolls (TES) III : Morrowind Oh ! Now I feel so inspired to talk about it but this isn't the right place to talk about this ; this is

meh system shock sucks..................................................................................

JKING its pretty impressive. im actually playing through it with two other friends right now....its very good.

p.s. haven't beaten it yet so i don't know if it'll be good or not b ut tis looking that way

System Shock 1 doesn't have multiplayer.

And playing System Shock 2 for the first time in multiplayer is a travesty.

Administrator
    Technically he said "playing through it" - not that it was network multiplayer. Any game can be multiplayer if you have friends looking over your shoulder, chipping in with suggestions and occassionally pressing the keys they think you should be pressing.

I first played UW1 that way and it was actually quite fun taking turns, discussing what strategy to take next, where to go etc. as we played through the game.

£10 note

Spoilers follow...

Wow. So the other night I drank some wine and was looking at games on my computer to play, saw raptor: call of the shadow, tried to play it but I didn't have DOSbox installed. So I installed DOSbox, played it for twenty minutes and then got bored and thought of another, much better DOS game to play. Had a quick look for my System Shock CD, couldn't find it, got a torrent started for it which was pretty quick to finish. did some fiddling around trying to get it to work, installing VDMSound etc. got pissed off that I couldn't get it to work (I think I just needed to restart after installing VDMS). Came upon System Shock Portable. Started the torrent and then the direct download, which finished first. Finally got it installed and started playing, decided to go for plot and puzzle difficulty 3, cyber 1 and combat 2. Boy, did I have fun. After spending just over an hour on the first deck I realised I really had to pick up the pace but when the timer counted down to 4 hours remaining, I was still running around searching for the laser safety override keypad which I had been sure was in the same room as the fire button on level 2. Failing that I decided to stop wasting time and move upwards, through decks 3, 4 and 5, gathering equipment and solving whatever pieces of the quest that I could, though I still managed to the enviro-suit on storage.

Coming back down to the lower levels, I eventually found safety override and destroyed the mining laser. I was down to two and a bit hours for the executive level and this was when I really started to haul ass, skating from one end of the level to the other, "SHIT, I have to disengage the safety lock in beta grove before I can flip the master jettison switch... beta grove is going to be fun without an enviro-suit". I actually wasted far too many precious minutes wandering around level 6 previously because I missed the door which leads to the other quadrants and I was really thinking that I wouldn't have time to backtrack all around decks 1-6 to get the self-destruct code (since I wasn't abusing my prior knowledge), fight my way to the reactor core, set it to self-destruct, and fight my way through decks 7, 8 and 9.

When I got to deck 7 I had maybe 1:50 left and I was getting torn apart by the cyborg enforcers, I never even found the regenerator but somehow I managed to destroy all the antennae and was lucky enough to have a logic probe handy for when shodan traps you in with your own C4. Somehow I pulled it off - I made it to security with just under an hour and finished the game with 14 minutes to spare, 54 regenerations and 743 kills.

I'm fairly sure I've completed the game with the time limit before but then I would have been straight after completing it without the time limit. It's been a few years since my last SS run, so not knowing quite where everything is and not being so familiar with the way everything works made it all the more enjoyable. I'm now playing through it again, this time with all difficulties on 3. I'm really enjoying the tougher combat and I've just got to deck 5 with four and a half hours to spare.

So yes, system shock certainly does still have it after 15 years. After this run, I'll probably put it down and come back to it in another few years. It's amazing how it's able to grip me - I've started a game, finished it and started another one in the space of a weekend. The only other games I can think of that have done that are Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines and, to a lesser extent, Stalker: SoC.

Playing through SS1 again as well (second time)

I also decided to get 0% security on each deck this time which resulted in me haplessly wandering medical for 2 hours because I didn't know about the red dots on the automap

After finding that last camera I finally left medical with upwards of 60 med patches due to the absolutely ridiculous respawn rate of mutants. Oh and a lousy magnum with no ammo of course.

Also grabbed the laser rapier and headlamp from maintenance ASAP as I remembered how difficult those invisible mutants were. Then due to my festering hatred of reactor level, I headed to storage instead and cleaned the place out. Now I have lots of mag pulse ammo for my friends the hoppers

The game sure is more enjoyable when I'm not struggling with the controls (like last time). Noticing a lot of stuff I missed before. Death cutscene still disturbs me and makes me spam the Esc key.

Well, simply put SS is a GREAT game. In fact, I think I'll give it yet another go as soon as I've located my game-CD box in the post-moving pile... Maybe this time I'll finally manage to stop myself from exploring for long enough to beat the time limit - then again, given how many times I failed this before I wouldn't hold your breath

I've finished SS2 4 times completely (of about 20 new games ) and have yet to get past deck 1 of SS1. I need a weekend to dedicate to the playing of SS1.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Technically he said "playing through it" - not that it was network multiplayer. Any game can be multiplayer if you have friends looking over your shoulder, chipping in with suggestions and occassionally pressing the keys they think you should be pressing.
    My mates and I did that for It Came From the Desert, each taking a couple of parts and narrating them for the edification and amusement of the others. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    My mates and I did that for It Came From the Desert, each taking a couple of parts and narrating them for the edification and amusement of the others. Good times.
    Me too - my friend was better at escaping from hospital in a wheelchair than me, and better at the overhead grenading of ants which was too stressful for me. I made the RPG decisions and flew the plane spraying insecticide. A great game with loads of replay value. One of the few games where, when I died, I didn't mind starting the whole thing again ad trying new options. It was my main Xmas present the year it came out, and I played ti for the whole of the holidays so have a soft spot for it.

is Best Pony
    I was the pistoleer of our group, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I was the pistoleer of our group, myself.
    I remember shooting off antennae - if I failed it always felt as if it was my fault, never because the game was unfair.

I have a copy for my Amiga emulator, I must dig it out and relive it again.

£10 note
    Gaaaahhh! Fucking finally - I killed SHODAN on skill 3333. It took me bloody ages until I went ahead and underclocked my E8400 to 2Ghz. Before I was getting 3 seconds with her before getting completely faced, 11 seconds until game over. I managed it on cyber 1 but with 3 it's just impossible.

Time: 5:50:27, kills: 766, regenerations: 60, difficulty index: 36, score: 4723022. And I finished the game without a single grenade or bomb left and I used all my flechette ammo. it's probably my favourite weapon, since you don't get the skorpion until the very end - even on hard you can take out almost any enemy by unloading an entire magazine of splinter into them, and it takes no more than two seconds. In fact, aside from the skorpion and perhaps the magpulse, I don't think there's a better weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by steo View Post
    I managed it on cyber 1 but with 3 it's just impossible.
    It's a little bit difficult but with a 3 GHz (single)core i had never problems.

Quote Originally Posted by steo View Post
    Time: 5:50:27, kills: 766, regenerations: 60, difficulty index: 36, score: 4723022.
    Difficult 3233 (plot 2, cause i don't like the timelimit and see my posting above).

Time: 9:58:45
    Kills: 810
    Regenerations: 0
    Difficulty Index: 31
    Score: 6919178

What a great game! In a few weeks - i guess - i must play it again!

Last weekend i've played with my girlfriend System Shock 2 ... That was a very cool weekend! hrhr
    Last edited by Hardcore-Evil; 31st Mar 2009 at 03:15.